Sacred Heart Hospital has a centralized department for catering to the sterilization need of the entire hospital. The purpose of the Central Sterile Supply Department is to make reliably sterilized articles available at the required time and place . It uses physical and chemical procedure to destroy all microbial life, including highly resistant bacterial spores.
- It provides sterilized material from a central department where sterilizing practice is conducted under conditions, which are controlled, thereby contributing to a reduction in the incidence of hospital infection.
- Avoids duplication of costly equipment's, which may be frequently used.
- Maintains record of effectiveness of cleaning, disinfection and sterilization process.
- Monitors and enforces controls necessary to prevent cross infection according to infection control policy.
- Keep updated regarding developments in the field in the interest of efficiency, economy, accuracy and provision for better patient care.
- Provides a safe environment for the patients and staff.